Thursday, April 19, 2012

Needing a vacation from our vacation...in Japan

As I wrote in my last post, Japanese are more other-centered than Americans, and in many ways, it's a good thing.  But as we approach another national holiday here, I can't help but notice a down side to this focus on the group.  In Japan, everyone in non-retail jobs takes their vacation at the same time,  during three major holidays. So, while people working in American companies can take their vacation days any way they want to, within limits, people in Japan have to all be off at the same time.  This creates major congestion, long waits, mind-boggling crowds and high plane ticket prices since not only is everyone on vacation, but the consecutive vacation days are few.  However, this doesn't seem to dampen the Japanese desire for travel, resulting in "Japanese Vacation," an experience that would kill the ordinary American.  For example, I have a friend who went to America with her husband and visited two major cities...all in four days.  And don't even think this is a rare occurrence.  


I recently asked my business friend why Japanese want to do it this way.  She said that Japanese can't relax if they are on vacation while everyone else in their company is working.  (Conversely, I think Americans relish the idea that they are lying on the beach while everyone else is toiling away.)  It is common, even, for whole companies to take short trips together to places like Tokyo Disney World.  That way, no one gets left out...except for the wives.  But that's okay because Japanese wives often don't have careers and travel widely while their husbands are living for their jobs.  I have met ordinary housewives who have been to 15-20 countries and have made me feel like the country bumpkin that I am.


Of course, a major part of any Japanese travel (even to the next prefecture) is buying souvenirs for everyone they know.  I think this is a way to make other people feel included in their travel.  What is the most popular (by far) souvenir here?  That's right, food that is somehow related to the place or country visited.  Everywhere you go in Japan, there are stores with gift-wrapped food items for travelers.  And it doesn't have to be fancy food.  Favorites from America are Dunkin Hines cake or brownie mixes, Cracker Barrel fudge mixes, flavored coffee, M&Ms, Macadamia nut chocolates, and other high-calorie stuff that says, "I just gained 5 lbs. on my trip to America, and I'd like you to share in my experience." 


If airport stores or other stores that cater to Japanese tourists would have items like this pre-wrapped, my guess is that they would sell like hot cakes (or hot cake mix, in this case).  Well, that's a free and timely travel-related tip from your friends at www.noah-digital.co.jp/english/


No comments:

Post a Comment