Sunday, April 1, 2012

In Japan, it's OBABA, not Obama, that gets people talking...


If you plan to come to do business with Japanese businessmen, you should be prepared.  Since you will want to stand out in the crowd of your competitors, you will need an edge.  So, it's a good thing you're reading this blog.  I am about to tell you how to make the Japanese you meet think, "Wow, this foreigner has some sense!"  I've already talked about the most common conversational question in Japan (See: "Getting old but looking young in Japan.")  I would suggest you leave that question to the Japanese, though.  Instead, you should use the second most common conversational question, "What is your blood type?"  That's right, not "What's your sign?"  In my 11+ years here I have only been asked about my sign maybe once (and of course I refused to answer because I can't bear conversations about "signs").  But I have been asked numerous times about my blood type.  Blood types here are believed to determine your personality.  I will explain and make it easy to remember:


Type O = Outgoing, friendly and happier than A's.
Type B = Barking; strange or to put it nicely, unique.
Type AB = ABnormal, but possibly in a good way, i.e. genius or creative.
Type A = Anal retentive; very reliable and given to worry.


Types O and A are the most common and thus, the best.  Type B people have a hard time fitting in and surely don't benefit from the science of blood typing.  Type AB people think they are really special and have the best of A and B.  (In case you're wondering, I'm AB.  And yes, I do think this whole blood type thing has meaning.)


Now, the only drawback in this whole thing is if you are a type B.  If so, avoid this conversation, and if asked the question, just say "Americans often don't even know their blood type."  Notice, that is not a lie.  If it somehow comes out that you are "B," just give up on that person and find someone new because there is no way to overcome your "B-ness."  


If you are any of the other types, go ahead and ask the question!  You will be greeted with a smile of pleasant surprise.  If he answers, "A," you can say something like, "Oh, I know I can count on you to be a conscientious business partner."  If he says, "O," say, "I thought you seemed like a very friendly guy."  If "AB," say, "Oh, I look forward to hearing your creative ideas."  If he happens to murmur, "B," you can say, "Oh, we Americans love people who are unique and interesting."  You may want to go on and talk about a new segmentation strategy you hope to develop based on blood type, and soon, you will be doing business big time with your new Japanese partners.  When that time comes, please don't forget your friends here at www.noah-digital.co.jp/english/.   

1 comment:

  1. A Japanese friend reminded me today that "Obaba" is a derogatory name for old women here, especially those who talk too much. Oops...didn't mean to make that play on words, especially since I fit into that group :(

    ReplyDelete