Monday, April 9, 2012

Fading away too soon...in Japan

Today, the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and the weather is perfect here in Nagoya!  Since the cherry blossoms will fall within a week, these days are extra special.  I went to the park with my little son and had the best time.  There were many people of all ages at the park enjoying the peak of the blossoms, and we had a friendly chat with many of them.  On days like this, I feel like I'm in the best place on earth.


At the park, there were a good many children.  Japanese children are especially cute and friendly.  Today, a little boy, practicing his English, asked, "Are you American?"  I answered, "Yes.  Are you Japanese?" and he dissolved into giggles.  Unfortunately, the number of children here is decreasing rapidly.  What a sad, sad thing to lose these sweet faces and voices that are the hope for the future.  I look at my little Japanese son  and think there's not a cuter little guy on earth!  What has made this wealthy nation quit having children?


The answer to that is complicated and beyond me.  But I think a big problem is that children are seen as being very expensive...a strange problem in a country where people have such huge savings.  I wish more people could realize that children don't have to have everything to be happy.  Even if you can't give them the best, they will enjoy their lives if you show them how.  Today, they were doing just fine on their own.


I thought if only cherry blossom season were longer!  More people could get out more frequently and see the children at play.  The blooming season is way too short, and after the cherry blossoms are gone, there's not much else that blooms in many parks.  I thought of blooming pear trees which are almost as pretty as cherry trees and bloom longer if my memory serves.  They are also spectacular in the fall.  Or maybe there is something better.  While nothing will ever compare to the cherry blossom in the hearts and minds of the Japanese, maybe another blooming tree in the park would help open their eyes to the glory of children...Got trees?  Contact us at www.noah-digital.co.jp/english/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment